Saturday, January 24, 2009

Spoken Word Poetry: Wrap-up

Since I had you all fill out those comment tickets, I thought I would post what your peers had to say about it. These are in no paticular order but separated by section.

I can't stress enough how proud I am to have you as students! I love each and every one of you for opening up your heart and mind. It is not easy to share personal struggles and emotions. If nothing else, please know that room 328 will always be a place for you to be who you are. I just may not always have cookies...

~Ms. G



Enjoy and please feel free to add anything in the comments section!





Poetry Jam: January 2009:



SECTION C:

Long live Mason!

"This poem is too ganster, this poem is educated; this poem is different, this poem is discriminated"

"Stick figures are people too"

"I'm an extrodinary nigga


I learned that a lot of people share the same issues: parents, being an individual but still not being a statistic.

"don't judge my "B" or "B+" because it is going to B what its been

Jamal knows the world better than the world knows its self.

I liked the fact that Brittany is so motivated and also dedicated to being something one day.

William is a true individual.

All of my classmates put effort into these poems.

We should do this again.

"going into the Marines, a scary thought at the age of 16."

I learned that we are all human and we have lots in common.

I learned that I'm not the only one who is scared about my future.

I learned that Mason was a good soul and we lost a good one.

I liked how we were a family expressing our feelings to each other.

"Dance has it's own language and it's beautiful"

I like the way Kelly just opened up and poured her heart out. She is STRONG!

I learned that a lot of my classmates were not close to their parents, like me.

"there are more injustices than stars in the sky."

I thought he just didn't give a damn. He actually does and has issues close to home.

It took alot of courage.

"we are not alike, so what's wrong with that?"

I loved Jared's poem.


Jen really nailed the ideas and situation behind abortion.

Piro and I hold some of the same feelings about school. I, too, have thought we were marching up the sidewalk, up the stairs, etc. It's militaristic.

I learned Nick has a soft side :)

"Every move you make..."

Everyone has their own problems and we are comfortable sharing it.

I liked that we could open up and let our classmates into our lives.

It was the merging of ideas, passions, concerns. We can all relate to things said today. It has a powerful effect of people.

"I believe in the road less taken if its for the right reasons"

She showed me to cherish what I have.

I have misjudged my classmates.

"I love you for supporting me. I love you for being pissed at me. It only shows you care."

I really related to Pegi.

Image can never say more than what you want it to show.

Everyone was so respectful.

"You don't have to be Monet to make Mon-ay"

Tesfa's comparison to the stars in the night sky was deep and original.

"What's hap'n cap'n?"

I enjoyed the openess and different views of my peers.

Merrilyn's poem was really emotional and it must have been tough on her. She has such emotional strength to read her poem. Thank you.

"just sit back and relax"

Sabrina Dances!!

I learned that my class mates are sick and tired of all the disrespect

I liked Kelly's singing the best.

We all know that our time is almost up in high school.

I learned that other people have it worse than me.

"my dad is never there, seems like he doesn't care."



SECTION D:



"don't mind your own business"

I learned how emotional someone can be about his/her beliefs.

I enjoyed Ariel's vivid descriptions and her poetic style

"I run my race at my own pace."

Megan has a voice and she can express herself.

"Yesterday, I was on top of the world, but today, the world is on top of me."

I liked Rony's honesty.

"high school is like an air conditioner"

I liked Kajetan's the most. He poem had rhymes and meaning that interested me the most.

I am so happy Megan finally spoke up!

Nunzio's poem was like words to the world.

Jefferson practiced too hard to fail, that's dedication.

I learned that although people may act like everything is okay, they are really tearing up inside.

I learned that Nancy feels like sometimes people don't listen to her.

Jessica lost some one very close to her. I think there is nothing that can be as hurtful as a friend you love passing away. She has experienced this and it moves me.

Tuan is serious about racial decrimination and prejudice.

My classmates are truly affected by stereotypes.

I learned that Megan has a lot of things bottled up inside of her, people talking about her behind her back, but she doesn't care. She stayed strong.

"gay is word that means 'stupid' but not as stupid as the one's who use it"


Jackson is always so quiet. But, his words were so powerful.

We all got to express our feelings despite how nerve wrecking t was.

I learned that Rony is the coolest kid EVER and his poem was great.

Arlind believes in our generation; he believes we can make changes together.

Everyone in this class has become closer because we got a chance to have an insight on what others believe and think. We are no longer strangers.

Gigi showed the most emotion.


I am suprised to learn how passionate some people can get, people you would never expect.

The passion that these poems brought out in people and the things we learned about each other is what I enjoyed most.

"exterminate you out of my house like the louse that you are"

The poem titled "This Poem" was very unique.

I learned Gigi is a politically aware person and she is very intelligent. She does not have to dumb herself down to make friends. She is very strong willed and likes to speak her opinion.

I liked that everyone showed a side of them that no one knows about but the have proven they can express them selves.

Jazz has flow and rythm!!

Ariel is an amazing poet.

We're Bonding!

We all hide our feelings and we keep them locked up despite how carefree we seem.

I learned that it is our time to step up, to speak our mind and take control of our future.

"this poem is a metaphor of me"

"you said we run in circles....I'll run circles around you!"

I enjoyed all the inspiration, motivation and feeling

Avaloi has eloquence, Jessica is an amazing writing, Tuan is hilarious and everyone's poems were great!

Everyone's creativity was awesome.

Si Min has a stong relationship with her mother

There is more to people than what I originally thought.

She made me feel what she was saying and I cried.

This is our only chance to speak our minds, get things off our chests.

One thing I learned is not to stay mum on things

I hope we can do this again.

I learned that running helps Phil release stress, stress from people who talk behind his back and stress from everything else in this world.

"like ships stranded on an island"

"Transcendentalism, have you heard of it?"

I learned some people feel the same things I do and some very different things.

I have been told that what I do is not a sport, just like Phil.

I learned there is a lot of hurt that is misunderstood; sometimes I wonder what goes through everyone's head and I even wonder what to ask.

I LOVE how no one cared whether or not they would cry because some people were so close to doing so.

"We are volcanoes and Oceans"

"We are Historians"

I liked how real and close it made us feel...it brought a feeling of unity.

"My name is Jamiaka Johnson and it's my time to shine"

"Shhhh. There goes the familiar sounds of a child's lulabye"

"Delivery of Allalala Lotion."

I liked how everyone really respected eachother during the presentation and that every student supported the others, no matter how emotional the poem was.

"Is that really how you want it to be?"

I didn't konw Thomas took sterotypes so seriously but he is upset that everyone expects him to do well in school, get straight A's. People forget who he really is and I relate to that.





SECTION G:



I learned that Briana has been through a lot.

I liked how people opened up, especially the people you wouldn't think...

Carla loves her sport!

No one made fun of anyone. We were all so respectful.

I agree with Liz. It's a frustrating situation: longer here, they are better.

Carla is a good sport, unlike me.

"One month ago..."

I liked getting to hear from everyone, how they feel. I never do on a daily basis and rarely know how they feel or about their lives.

Tien is a pacifist and I agree with her statements about God's Laws.

One thing I learned is that not everyone has the luxury of being raised by two parents. I now come to realize that I am very fortunate and should be thankful for it each and every day.

"life is a journey, not a race"

The poem by Tara was very good, well written and had a great message.

"Lions, tigers, and bears!"

I learned that certain people come off one was but in reality, we have the same exact situation.

"I never got to say goodbye."

"My life is perfect!"

I learned that money could be an issue for some people that I wouldn't think face.

I enjoyed how all these people could connect with each other and show their feelings.

People are facing the same stresses as me. Tara feels lonely and has a single mom, like I do.

"Trying not to live like dad, paycheck to paycheck"

"Are we trying to be colorful?"


I am proud of Hector for getting through his poem.

I can't believe I cried!

Marcella's poem related to me a lot; it's interesting to see what other people are going through the same thing.

I liked that people were so comfortable with each other. It is suprsing when others open up.

Marcella is a strong person.

I like the fact that everyone (well, most) cried because the opened up.

I loved how Ms G went full out with cookies!

I'm not the only one with parents in a rough divorce and there are probably more.

"What am I?"

Not everyone has a beautiful family.

"Life is stress.."

"Before my birthday's were the best..."

There is more to a person than what they see on the outside.

I liked the whole catharsis experience; some of the things people talk about really bring you back to your own life and situation. Eveyone has somethign to say. This class was AWESOME.

Her parents are divorced - like mine, they both hate eachother.

"Monday...Tuesday...Wednesday..."

What a caring community you have created. You should be proud of your space and eachother.

"Ice cream with sprinkles"

We're all different, but same in some way.

"college, college, college; I taste it for breakfast"

I have learned that my classmates have very stressful lives and they do not seem bothered by it until they speak out and tell about their problems.

She said somethign in spanish about her mother telling her to do something, just like my mom tells me.

The emotion Gabi used and the tears that were shed from people I consider friends made me feel for them even though I have never experienced that problem.

"up by 6 and down by 10"

"but that is not what you said."

Tim showed how sometimes, you got to do whatever is possible to make money.

I liked how I wasn't afraid to show emotion in front of them. I felt that they understood me..

I liked Hector's poem: I know how it feels to lose a loved one for the first time, especially on a holiday.

"I never got to say goodbye and I still wonder why?"

"Are we trying to make a rainbow?"

Everything said about school is true.

People are willing to open up about what hurts the most and brought up some good points.

"take one for the team."

I loved the way I felt more comfortable in the class and how I felt the people inside my heart <3.

Cookies!

"Older than me, Older than my mom"

Section "G" is for GREAT!